Guernsey Kofukan Karate Club
This Guernsey Karate club has been established in the Channel Islands since the early 70’s. We are of course a Japanese style of martial art practising shito-ryu karate. Originally with Sensei David Moss. Under the Tani-Ha Shito-Ryu Shukokai Organisation. Then changing to the Tani-Ha Shito-ryu Kofukan organization.
We are now the Shito-Ryu Kofukan organisation
Shito-ryu, along with Goju-ryu, Wado-ryu and Shotokan, is one of the four major karate systems of Japan.
We are a traditional Japanese karate style, which is continually evolving and evaluating its system. Which includes competition fighting and Kata plus weapons training, within our weekly classes. And as part of our Grading system.
The club has been operating with Steve Goubert 4th Dan and Dave Ferbrache 3rd Dan as instructors since the late 70,s with James Wallis joining us in 2000 now a 2nd Dan also instructing.
We are also a part of Kofukan International
And our Joint World Chief Instructor for Kofukan International is Shihan Keiji Tomiyama 8th Dan, seen below on a visit to Guernsey.
New members will always be welcome to join our classes.
Contact us for information at : firstname.lastname@example.org
Aims of Kofukan Shito-Ryu Karate
- 1. Cultivate good personality and strong character
- 2. Preserve correct techniques and katas
- 3. Promote friendship among members
- 1. Respect the values of the traditional katas
- 2. Unified study of kata and kumite
- 3. Scientific approach in analysing techniques
- 1. Do not make any unnecessary movements
- 2. Do not use any unnecessary force
- 3. Use the whole body to perform techniques
Dojo Kun (Motto)
- Reigi Etiquette
- Sonkei Respect
- Nintai Perseverance
- Doryoku Effort
- Sozo Creativity
- Yuki Courage